Conserve Biodiversity – Stand for Your Earth!
Biodiversity – The more variety, the better society! Biodiversity is a vast term that comprises of the variability of living beings and other systems on this earth. It includes a variety of entire species such as animals, plants, micro-organisms, their genes, and all the ecosystems that are present in the world.
You must be wondering that why I am giving you a lecture like the one you must have heard in your Biology class back then. Well, with so much of exploitation of our land “earth”, it has become an urgent need to save it. Yes, biological conservation has become as important as breathing, for we are the one who has exploited it.
But what is this biological diversity conservation? Seems like a heavy term but it is nothing but “preserving our endangered habitats”. Alright. But why is it needed?
Urgent need to save Biodiversity! Why should we do it?
I have been talking above all about “conserving” “preserving” or “saving” Biodiversity, but why it has become so imperative to do this. It is so because it will lead to much environmental and human damage. Unsustainable use of natural resources, climatic changes, deforestation, changes in aquatic environment, pollution, and over-exploitation of species has become a threat to our biodiversity. If not taken a step now, it would cause a huge damage to humans and the whole species.
How should we do it?
By this time you would have understood the importance to conserve biodiversity. Here are some of the steps by which you can also participate in biodiversity conservation.
- Our Government is also coming with different initiatives to decrease the threats to biodiversity and to protect the habitat. Become a part of those programmes.
- Try to use environmentally friendly products in daily use and that is obvious to reduce the use of plastic related products as much as possible.
- Maintenance of wetlands by conserving water and reducing irrigation can be done.
- The old standing dead trees provide nest cavities for many birds and other species. We should try to maintain them instead of cutting them down. Building bird and bat houses will also help.
- Create events for social awareness on conserving biodiversity in your vicinity, to derive more people towards it. This is much needed.
- Contribute to Donate Your Sweat; it is standing erect for all the sustainable social issues. This world biological diversity day, they have various social programmes that will let you contribute towards the conservation of biodiversity.
Celebrate the Biodiversity!
22nd may is observed as World Biological Diversity day, which was adopted by the UN at a conference in Kenya back then in 1992. It is held to focus on the attention towards the issues related to biodiversity and how to work for its betterment. It has a symbol of a twig with three green leaves signifying the need of conservation of biodiversity. It has been full 27 years of celebrating our biodiversity and working for preserving in the best possible ways.
This day is celebrated by providing awareness to promote biodiversity. On this day people stand out for earth by Circulating booklets and pamphlets, exhibiting skits or plays in schools and colleges, conducting seminars, providing various ideas for promoting biodiversity conservation, and planting trees to prevent soil erosion.
One by one they can all disappear, only then will you shed a tear?
Conserving the biodiversity should not be only limited to various social or government campaigns or reading in newspapers; each one of us need to stand for it as we all belong to this earth. Start for standing for the benefits for the biodiversity and ecosystem, or else it will be too late!
Comments are closed